Here’s a simple idea that’s both a fun social activity as well as a way of beefing up your personal cookbook (or vegging up as the case may be). Throw a Recipe Swap party. The rules are simple.
- Invite your friends over for a Recipe Swap party.
- Everybody must prepare a favourite dish of theirs and bring along the recipe
- Everybody gets a chance to sample a myriad of different dishes
- After the party, the host emails everybody the recipes
Bingo-bango-bongo, you’ve got ten new recipes in your playbook. If you want you can choose a theme: desserts, salads, cocktails, appetizers – whatever. A nice twist to a potluck get-together.
And encourage your guests to keep it simple – we all want recipes that taste good but are easy to prepare. I was in Kentucky a couple years ago and bought a cookbook as a souvenir. One of the recipes involved several days of preparation and 20 pounds of turtle meat; a good example of the type of dish that does not belong at a Recipe Swap.
In the spirit of Recipe Swaps, here’s one of my personal favourites that I stole from my friend, Rob.
Black bean quesadilla
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- Grated cheese
- Chopped onion
- Chopped garlic
- Chopped red and green peppers
- Frozen corn
- 2 large tortilla shells
- Mix the onion, garlic, peppers and corn in a bowl
- Heat up a non-stick or oiled frying pan
- Place 1 tortilla shell on the pan and sprinkle with cheese
- Spread the veggie mix on, followed by another layer of cheese
- Place the second tortilla on top
- Cook for a few minutes on each side until the cheese is all melted and the tortilla is nicely browned (the trickiest part to this recipe is flipping it half way without all the contents flying all over your stovetop; you’ll get it with a bit of practice)
- Cut into slices and serve with salsa and avocado.
- Refrigerate left over veggie mix.
What are your favourite simple recipes?
The Backyard Badge celebrates creativity, imagination and finding adventure close to home. Share your own awesome experiences by visiting the Submissions Section. Or add your stories, photos and videos to the Badge of Awesome Facebook Page.
Add some awesomeness to your inbox. Subscribe for free to receive email updates of new posts. You’ll also get a free ebook as a thank you for subscribing.